When we use the word “Digital Marketing”, we are actually referring to online marketing efforts from a brand.
Therefore, if you are asking what is Digital Marketing (DM), here is your answer:
This is a practice in Business through which advertising messages are delivered through online channels such as websites, mobile apps, search engines, social media and emails. It helps a brand generate interest in their products among their consumers.
Though DM started gaining popularity in the year 2000. In the last couple of years it has revolutionised marketing communication.
In a real sense:
It is brand messaging (Advertisements) delivered through electronic channels such as Television, Radio, Internet etc. Electronic channels generate, store and transmit data in the series of the number 0 or 1.
It can happen both Online and Offline.
If the above is true, then
It existed ever since Guglielmo Marconi sent first wireless signals in 1896.
Isn’t that crazy!
However, the simple definition of DM does not say enough about the practice of digital marketing in today’s world.
This meaning is useless as technology is just the enabler of digital marketing. So let us understand what exactly digital marketing is?
What is Digital Marketing in Today’s Context?
In today’s context:
It is a set of interactive marketing promotion activities which are done online. These activities help an individual or organization reach its target audience and achieve its business & financial objectives.
Therefore when we say digital marketing, we are essentially referring to Online Digital Marketing.
The other form of DM is offline digital marketing, which happens on other electronic devices such as Radio or Television.
I know you are not here to read about radio or TV, so I will spare you (though I have invested millions of dollars on Offline marketing during my career).
Going forward in this article when I say “DM”, I am actually referring to “Online Digital marketing”, as that is what you intend to read here, right?
- It is a set of marketing activities and not just one activity.
- It is Interactive and not just one way. It enables two-way communication and is much more engaging compared to the other marketing methods. Interactivity is what distinguishes it from advertising on Television, which is also electronic but not interactive.
- It happens online. What it essentially means is that the activity is carried out on the Internet or telecom networks. Though it happens online, it can empower both the virtual or offline world. An example of DM in the virtual or online world is email marketing or social media marketing or search engine marketing. In the colloquial sense when we say digital marketing we refer to virtual or online marketing only. An example of this in the offline world is the use of tablets to showcase product offerings at a retail store.
- It helps an individual or organization. It is useful not only for large companies but also for individuals as well, unlike TV or newspaper advertising. One can take advantage of digital advertising on small budgets as well.
- It helps reach and engage the target audience. It is focused, and one can use multiple targeting methods to reach their audience.
- It helps achieve business and financial objectives. It is measurable & ROI driven. It helps achieve business & financial goals.
Why Digital Marketing Is Important
There are some new methods that are faster, more practical and versatile than the old traditional ones. Following are some of the most common forms of digital marketing
Website (SEO content)
Online video content
PPC (pay-per-click) advertising
Social media (Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, Pinterest, Tumblr, G+, etc)
Mobile marketing (SMS, MMS, etc)
The importance of digital marketing works not only in favor of marketers, it provides something innovative to the consumers too. Let us understand the importance of digital marketing.
1. Cost Effective
It is more cost-effective than other traditional marketing. This is particularly important for small businesses as they don’t have many resources or capital. New media can provide you with a less expensive and more viable promoting channel.
2. Utilize Content to Connect with Customers
Utilizing digital content either sponsored or free enables you to interface with customers more adequately than direct mail or PR campaigns. The quality of your online presence now directly connected to the achievement of your business.
3. Take into account the Mobile Customer
Innovation has evolved so much that mobile devices are no longer thought to be simple other options to PCs or laptops. 91% of grown-ups always have their mobile devices & regularly use them to browse the internet. The largest group of customers is utilizing their mobile devices daily, so it’s important that to use a marketing solution or advertisements that target these devices properly.
4. Acknowledge Higher ROI and Revenue
By increasing digital outreach, you can build your revenue. The more information that you can extract from your outreach campaigns, the better your expectations and along the ROI will be.
5. To Track Customer’s Journey
Utilizing analytics services like Google Analytics, you will be able to monitor all your client’s activities, preferences and get a better insight into their behavior. Analytics enable you to build the persona of your client with the goal that you can offer them the ideal experience.
6. Expanded Conversions
If you have an online business and you are advertising products and services online, you can easily measure your success by incoming traffic that gets changed over into subscribers, leads or sales and this way you can ascertain and enhance your conversion rates.
7. Empower Social Media Engagement
In the event that you need your organization to grow, you can gain new customers utilizing different social media channels. Make sure always to focus on your customers based on their interests, ages, and country. This way, you will be able to better interact with them and empower engagement through digital media.
8. Build People’s Trust
Digital marketing develops from social verification, social media signals and genuine testimonials from customers who have beforehand used, joined, acquired or profited from a service or product advertised by your business. Most customers would trust a service or a product when individuals they know give positive feedback or information about a specific brand. So great suggestion by a person with a strong following on Facebook or Twitter could represent the deciding moment your business.